,
Message sent from:

Headteacher's Welcome

Vision

A Proud History

Fairfield High School is one of the oldest all-girls schools in the country and has been a source of optimism for young women and their families in this area for over 200 years.  We have seen many changes.  We owe our existence to the Moravian Church, a Protestant body originating in the 15th century, in what is now the Czech Republic.  The Moravians believed it was their Christian duty to educate the young and ran schools for boys and girls.

In 1796 Sister Mary Tyrrell opened a small girls' boarding school.  By 1881 the school had moved to the former Sister's house (now the Moravian College).  In 1906 we moved to the present main buildings.  By this time Fairfield was gaining a reputation for academic excellence, as the Honours Boards testify.

7(2)

After the First World War, Fairfield became a Grammar School and changed to a Comprehensive School in 1980.

In September 2004, as part of the Specialist Schools Programme, we became a Science College. Although we promote and encourage the role of women in our fast-moving science-based technological society, we continue to offer a broad and balanced curriculum.

We are now an 11-16 Academy, providing a high quality education for 975 girls. Ofsted recognised us as outstanding in all areas in January 2013.  Since then we have continued to go from strength to strength and in 2017 we achieved outstanding examination results.

 

Stephanie Bateman - Headteacher

X
Hit enter to search